The history of Scout Centre "The Eendenkooi".
The municipality of The Hague owns the property on which the scout centre is located.
It is the only piece of land in this area that has the original plot shape from the 17th century and is preserved. The Scout Centre owes its name to the ancient decoy, which is still original on the plot of the 16e century and is provided by the Municipality of The Hague and stands on the list of natural monuments.The oldest duck decoy in the Netherlands probably stands at our Zuiderpark.
The first writing that was found about the duck decoy in the municipal archives was of 1563. Presumably this stems from 1550.
For that the construction of the south park could be started the ownership of the Eendenkooi was expropriated by the Hague municipal council in 1928.
The construction started in 1932 and it took 4 years to build the park with help from men on the dole who where obliged to work in the crisis of the thirty's of the last century. In 1964 The Hague committed to do something about the land and property. Both were leased to the Catholic Scouts, district of The Hague, who founded Scout enter de Eendenkooi.
Scouting, as called today, planned all kinds of activities to help develop children from The Hague. Because the handling and care of animals was an essential part of this program as considered, Scouting started with 5 horses in his scout center.
End of 1971 was an equestrian leader voluntarily appointed to work with the horses and to coordinate the work with the children. In 1978 Scouting decided to divest the equestrian part. End of 1971 was an equestrian leader voluntarily appointed to work with the horses and to coordinate the children.
In 1978 Scouting decided to divest the equestrian part.
At the centre Eendenkooi there are two organisations, Scout Centre "The Eendenkooi" as well "the Foundation Youth Horse Riders “Eendenkooi”. The Kooiker house and the Hegge House (named after the last duck decoy family) are nearly completely renovated in 2012 and 2013 and are still continuing. Below some photographs from the Municipal Archives of The Hague. On foto1 are the brothers Hegge.